Thursday, October 25, 2012

Hiking the Colorado Trail Segments 10 and 11: Day 4

Day 4
Waking to reasonable temps was a welcome treat.  It was chilly, but nothing like the night before. The sunrise was a welcome sight and warmed us up as we ate our breakfast.  In the morning light, we saw a lot of the old beer/soda can pull tabs in the camp sight.  Neither Karl nor I have seen a pull tab in like 30 years.  You can read about the history of the beverage can here. 
 
My feet weren’t happy.  I had blisters on my little toes since day 2, but we only had one more day hiking.  Next time I’m going to take John Vanhof’s advice and taped my toes before I start hiking on day 1.


Our overnight was little further east than we originally thought, so that added about 1.5 miles to our plan for the day.  No a big deal overall.  We had more than enough food and water.  About 4 miles into the day, the route got unclear and we pulled out the GPS unit for the first time and figured we just need to stay our course.  We were right and saw one of the trusty CT placards within about a ¼ mile.

We finally saw wild life – a couple elk, but they ran off pretty quickly.  The day went pretty quickly overall.  I think we were both a little anxious to get back to the car, drop our packs and eat.  The views coming over the final climb of the day and descending toward Clear Creek were spectacular and seemed to get better with each switchback.

With temps in the lower 60’s and the sun beating down on us the descent was quite warm and Karl and I got pretty sunburned over the last 2 days.  We both thought we wouldn’t need our wide-brimmed hiking hats. 

Seeing the car in the distance and seeing it get closer was a welcome sight.  It meant clean clothes, comfortable shoes and dinner would come soon.  As soon as we got in the car, I made the mistake of turning on my phone.  It buzzed and beeped for a while, but finally went silent.  After driving north to our start point, we headed back to Denver, but of course stopped for dinner at Beau Jo’s Pizza.

No comments :

Post a Comment